ART/ ACTIVISM / LIFE
Participatory & Socially Engaged Art
Creativity in Life & Alternative Consumption
ART AS EXPERIENCE
Everyone's an Artist
We are interested in challenging the contemporary consumer experience through collaborative and socially engaged creative production.
We aim to:
- investigate the theories and practices of the SITUATIONIST INTERNATIONAL (see below)***
- promote experimental art practice
- focus on process rather than product
- engage in public art
- address issues affecting life through art
- and enhance UOW and life experience through art
The UOW Post-Situationist Society (PSST) is an art collective that experiments with, tests, and recasts (in a contemporary context), the theories and practices of the Situationist International (SI).
The SI were an avant-garde collective that operated from 1957 – 1972, investigating the integration of art practice into life as a way to question the status quo and overcome the effects of commodification on everyday experience.
The members of PSST aim to enhance life through the process of art experimentation in the manner of the SI.